In the end, I was very pleased that such a diverse and influential group came to discuss the notion of integrating with a third-party product.
I made note of a number of questions that arose and grouped them into a few broad categories:
- For how long is our institutional data kept at third-party host?
- What are the intellectual property (of students) considerations?
- How often would our enrollment data be updated at third-party host?
- Will advertising be served? How?
- Is there a difference between a person's regular Facebook profile and their Schools profile?
- Can any members of a class get to other classmates regular profiles without being a friend?
- How would FERPA exceptions be handled in the application?
Instructional and Business Process
- What is our process for choosing which "cool new" tool/service to try or adopt?
- What are the implications if instructors participate? What if they do not?
- Could our institutional participation in Schools somehow help teach students how to best manage their "public face" (online profiles and info)?
- Should we consider this a student-only tool? Just at first or for how long? Do we let instructors or TA's in?